Start Selling the Products You Love With Your Online Store
There’s nothing more rewarding than creating your own product.
But let’s be clear, it takes a colossal effort. You slug it out each day, only for life to beat you down with a continual onslaught of endless challenges and hurdles, throwing them right at your face with no choice but to overcome.
So, for the brave that has fought back, here’s the next monumental hurdle.
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links, providing us with a commission from when you decide to purchase. This will be at no additional cost to you.
How do you sell your products online?
two approaches that matter
In this article, we’re going to talk about two approaches, the Hands-On and the Not So Hands-On Approach to selling your products online. It doesn’t matter if you’re looking to sell a physical or digital product, you can even sell a service. We’ve got you covered in this article.
Website development has come a long way. Finally, some good news. You no longer need to slave over web servers or databases, gone are the days of hacking away and stitching lines of code together. Even better, the Content Management System that stores the content of your website, it’s typically done with one-click deployments now.
Is it really that simple? Nope, of course not. Not when time is the biggest factor.
You need to be honest with yourself. Where are you going to find time to design your website, write outstanding content, do your competitive research, promote and market your product, SEO your articles, and then keep doing it all of the time?
Don’t worry, with every hurdle, there’s always an opportunity lurking around. Fortunately, we know one or two.
Don’t make design and build difficult.
Taking a hands on approach shouldn’t be difficult.
Website building has never been simpler thanks to the likes of Weebly and WordPress. Each has a fantastic drag and drop building capabilities, you don’t even need to learn how to code or worry about CSS. The simplicity and thoughtless design process will get your website up in minutes.
If you’re looking to get your hands dirty, the Weebly eCommerce store is a fantastic option to start with. Its feature list isn’t as competitive as other providers but it’s simplicity and straight forward approach to website building will keep you smiling.
Why Weebly? It’s simple and affordable. Just because its cheap doesn’t mean it won’t pack a punch.
Here’s a list of key points for why we like Weebly:
Price. Stating the obvious. It’s both cheap and affordable, compare it to the other players, and it looks like a bargain.
The value and simplicity of Weebly are excellent. With a bit of work, you can deliver a beautiful and capable online store. The eCommerce store comes in 3 plans:
- Pro: limited entry point for groups or individuals
- Business: solid middle ground offering for small business and stores
- Business Plus: steps it up a notch for the power users
What plan? We like the Business plan.
Remember, successful selling isn’t a onetime activity. We’re looking to provide an engaging experience that drives recurring sales.
With the Business plan you can offer coupon codes, Square gift cards, offer shipping discounts. In addition, it provides item reviews, helping to influence your customers with a good dose of social proofing. There’s nothing more compelling than customers promoting your products.
The Pro plan is good, but without these key features you can’t offer the same experience. Engagement drives conversion. Simple.
You can sell shippable products, digital content, or services, covering all the bases for you to start selling your products online. The Weebly Business plan even covers inventory management, customisable options, and item badges that show the status of your products. Providing the minimum set of features you would expect from any online store.
Sure, the Business Plus plan has some nice extras like the abandon cart emails and real time shipping, but at this stage, the focus is getting the store up and running.
There is an excellent amount of free and paid for themes. It won’t take long before your find a beautifully simplistic design that screams professional.
Over 50% online sales are from mobile devices, and that numbers growing, steadily, and the team behind Weebly eCommerce haven’t forgotten about mobile users.
There’s a fantastic range of mobile ready templates to provide the perfect journey on your mobile devices. The templates deliver impressive visuals and come with responsive designs. The navigation and simplicity of the journey, for mobile devices, have been designed to provide an outstanding mobile experience.
If you’re looking to get setup in a quick and simple manner, that’s affordable, then Weebly eCommerce is the right choice for you.
WooCommerce is a fabulous plugin that can supercharge your selling potential. With its beautifully simple and clean integration, you can connect WooCommerce with your WordPress website in no time at all. It comes packed with an excellent list of customizations, plugins, and capabilities, making WooCommerce a superb contender for the perfect online store for your WordPress site.
Why WooCommerce? There’s an extension or plugin for pretty much anything. If you’re looking to improve your customer’s experience, increase visitor engagement, or looking to drive and convert traffic from your social media channels, WooCommerce has got your back.
Let’s see why WooCommerce stands out.
WooCommerce is a free plugin. That said, to provide the best experience, and the most engaging, you’re going to need to install a few paid plugins. Fortunately, most of these are one-off payments. Compared to other platforms and heavy hitters, the overall cost could be cheaper. But be warned, depending on your clicking habits, you could see that initial cost jump up quickly.
We’ve gathered a great starter pack for you. Checkout the below mixture of both free and paid plugins:
Paid: either billed monthly or annually on a recurring basis
- Direct Checkout – $20.00
- Beeketing – Boost Sales – $30.00
- Pinterest for WooCommerce – $79.00
- One Page Checkout – $79.00
- Checkout Manager – $20.00
- Extra Product Options – $39.00
- Subscriptions – $199.00
- Yoast WooCommerce SEO plugin – $69.00
- Smart Coupons – $99.00
- Quick View – $29.00
- Recommendation Engine – $79.00
- Follow-Ups – $99.00
- Google Analytics
- WooCommerce Shipping
- WooCommerce Payments
- Stripe Payment Gateway
- WooCommerce Mailchimp
Since WooCommerce is a plugin for WordPress, it integrates with the below themes, offering some of the best customisations, fastest loading times, and beautiful templates, providing you with the perfect online store:
- Divi theme: viewed as one of the most popular themes. Divi has arguably the most powerful website builder, allowing you to customise almost any feature with its intuitive drag and drop builder.
- Astra theme: considered as one of the fastest-growing themes. It’s lightweight and can deliver supercharged performance that brings your loading speed down to 0.5 seconds.
- Ocean WP theme: provides a fantastic out of the box feature lists, including excellent eCommerce functionality that’s usually found in premium plugins.
- Ultra theme: considered as one of the best themes for creating beautifully designed websites or online stores. It’s got a huge list of pre-defined layouts and ready to go themes to create your ultra-looking online store.
To get you off your feet, Weebly and WooCommerce will provide you with the perfect online store. From beautifully simplistic designs, all the way through to fully customizable features and extensive plugins, whatever your choice neither will leave you disappointed.
However, if you’re putting the customer first, we would go for WooCommerce. It integrates perfectly with WordPress and connects with all the best themes. With a huge list of outstanding free and paid for plugins, that will enhance your online store, delivering the most engaging experience for you shoppers has never been easier.
Thanks to WooCommerces brilliant customizations, that’s why it tops our list.
Take a not so hands-on approach
All right, you’ve now seen what it takes if you want to get your hands dirty.
But what if you’re not convinced?
Despite Weebly and WooCommerce having some of the most powerful and simple website builders, it still takes a considerable amount of time and investment. Something we don’t all have.
Well, not all hope is not lost. It’s time for professional services to step in.
Fortunately, there is no shortage of freelance talent out there, waiting to pounce. You can hire independent professionals to design your website, build new functionality, and to build your online store.
So where do I sign up? Checkout Fiverr.
Fiverr is a digital marketplace that’s ready to meet your online needs. Fiverr provides a platform for aspiring and creative minds, covering an extensive list of digital services like graphic design, digital marketing, video, and animation.
It’s the perfect place to find the digital skills you need to create your online store.
Before we dive straight in, with any professional services it’s important to do your homework and understand what you’re signing up for, so you’re not left disappointed. Don’t approach Fiverr thinking that taking the cheapest gig will deliver your dream online store. It just won’t. You get what you pay for.
OK, let’s start with the basics
We’ve put together a helpful list of all the areas you will need to focus on, helping you find the right Fiverr service for your online store:
- Start ratings: Aim for a 5 star rating with a decent amount of reviews that back up the ratings. At the end of the day, it’s your brand that’s on the line. So do your homework.
- Check the comments: take time to review the comments, not just from the Buyers, but take time to look at how the Seller interacts with their clients. This will help gauge the interaction and see if Sellers the right fit for you. Read enough comments to look for a consistent pattern of positive responses.
- Top Rated Seller: Bump up the Seller Details to top rated so you can see the eligible sellers that have to meet a bunch of higher requirements. Over a 60 day period they must have maintained both a 90% response rate and a minimum rating of 4.7. In addition, Sellers need to have earned at least $20k, if you’re looking for quality here’s a good start.
- Check their portfolio: look at their portfolio of completed work and ask for examples. You can always measure a professional on the quality of their work, case studies, and client feedback.
- Pro Services: These are individuals considered to be professionals, verified by Fiverr, who are looking to solve creative problems and provide stunning work for their clients. Don’t make the mistake of jumping in thinking that it’s all clean sailing. The price skyrockets and the number of reviews is on the lower side.
Fortunately, for every seller, they offer a range of varying services and prices to provide the buyer with rounded view of what’s possible. There is the Basic, Standard, and Premium package that lays out the details of their work and delivery timescales.
- Basic: offering the bare bones and very limited services. Best choice for testing the waters
- Standard: providing a significant step up in services. Offers a comprehensive list of features, additional time, and cost increase. If you’re looking for a decent amount of work this is your number one choice
- Premium: delivering specialized services and larger deliveries. If you’re looking for something creative, try the premium service
What Services to buy?
Since we are enlisting the help of a professional, your requirements need to be clear. This will save you time and pain. It’s the perfect chance to remove confusion from the seller’s side and clarify what each piece of work is. Fluffy and long-winded requirements are a recipe for disaster.
Take a look at the below examples:
- I want a series of pages that display my products in the best possible manner
- I want the website to be able to sell products for visitors on their mobiles
What could possibly go wrong?
Don’t be afraid to be specific or worry that you’re coming off too demanding. Ultimately, the more specific, the simpler it is for the seller to understand and meet. They will thank you in the long run for it.
Second time lucky:
- Each product listing page will show to the visitor the availability of stock, price (original, discounted price, discount %), and will have a quick buy feature displayed below the product image
- The design for both the website and online store will have a mobile user experience: copy minimized, images optimised for mobile, vertically orientated, actions will be in natural reach (one thumb), and will be a responsive design
By adding a couple more sentence you’ve immediately defined measurable and clear requirements. Take it a step further by defining each feature or request as an individual requirement.
Creating Your Online Store
There are many possibilities with Fiverr. For the purposed of this article, we will stick with website development and online stores.
Why are we focusing on just these two areas?
Well, the chances are, if you’ve taken the plunge with buying a domain name and you’ve got web hosting, your someone with a flair for creativity. You either create fantastic products or produce amazing content.
So, let’s offload the brunt of the work to a Fiverr freelancer or professional who can build your online store.
Doing so will allow you to focus on delivering for your customers and visitors. Sharing your design inspirations. After all, they come to you for your content and design creativity.
Shopify online store
Shopify is a fantastic eCommerce platform, it’s probably the most popular and recognizable brands in eCommerce. With an extensive list of quality features and integration, you can quickly see why there are so many big named brands behind Shopify. That’s why there’s plenty of Shopify gigs on Fiverr.
If you’re looking to create a store that has tons of features, is straight forward to use, and doesn’t break the bank balance, then Shopify is a superb choice. Just check out all these fantastic Fiverr gigs that will create your Shopify online store.
Stand out features: There is an excellent amount of social media apps to help drive sales across your social media accounts. Checkout their range of social media channel apps for Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
- Instagram – tag your amazing products to create a shoppable post, all without even leaving Instagram. Their smart inventory system allows your stores and marketplaces to stay in sync wherever you sell
- Facebook – create posts or promote ads that showcase your favourite products, you can even re-target shoppers who have visited your store previously. There’s even integration with Instagram to build a seamless shopping experience for you visitors
- Pinterest – pin and promote the best of your products to help visitors discover your brand. Pinterest is a fantastic way to drive organic or promoted traffic, send your visitors to shoppable product pins to maximize your selling potential
Remember, the Shopify builder is incredibly simple, intuitive, and packs a punch, so we need to make sure you’re getting the best value for your money.
There’s no point in paying for out the box functionality when you could do the same for a couple clicks.
Shopping list of features: here’s a list of key features and requirements you should be thinking of when you’re looking to create your online store.
- Product catalogue and content management
- Analytics reports
- Drop shipping
- Social media integration
- Social proofing
- Email marketing
- SEO optimized
- Mobile UX and Responsive designs
Why Shopify on Fiverr?
There are over 10k services on Fiverr that will take you one step closer to building the perfect Shopify online store to promote your products.
If you filter by Top Rated Seller and Level Two that brings the services down to around 1.5k. That’s still a solid number of reputable services. What’s promising, there’s plenty of Best Selling gigs that have 5 star ratings with reviews upwards of 500.
Take the time to do your homework, discuss their work and portfolios, interview a decent amount of Sellers, and it won’t be long before you find the right service to create your Shopify online store.
Wix is a heavyweight contender in website design with its powerful and intuitive website builder, it’s best known for its visually stunning website themes. If you’re looking to impress with a professional looking theme for your online store, you will be hard pressed to beat Wix’s beautiful templates. There’s plenty of apps to grow your visitors, understand and analyse their behaviours, and to increase traffic from social media channels.
Standout features: the Wix App Market provides a huge list of free and paid apps that will allow you to customize your online store, tailoring the experience for your visitors exactly how you imagine it should be.
- Visitor Analytics – analyse website traffic for your online store with a fantastic set of features so you can understand page traffic, user activity, recorded sessions, real time conversions, process. Checkout the heatmaps and conversion funnels to understand behaviours and easily improve or fix issues with your store’s conversions
- Smart Popups & Forms – engage smarter with your visitors to capture and convert more sales by using this intuitive popup app. It comes fully equipped with exit intent, time and page scroll delays, and after X number of pages. There’s also a simple and beautiful form builder that’s easy to use
- Loyalty Program – increase visitor retention and drive sales with a points and rewards scheme for your visitors. Use points and offer incentives to your customers when they social share, complete an action, or to celebrate an event
- Bookings – manage your schedule and calendar with this great app, provides your visitors, customers, and clients with a straightforward way to book appointments and session with you. Check out the automated email functionality to send reminder emails and the mobile app that can easily let client’s book straight from their mobile devices
The Wix App Market has an impressive list of apps that will take your Wix online store to the next level.
Shopping list of features: take a look at this set of features and requirements, that’s perfect for starting your Wix online store
- Beautiful theme and store design
- Custom online store apps
- SEO and speed optimization
- Social media integration
- Multichannel selling
- Shopping cart and checkout customization
- Automate tasks
- Content management
- Mobile UX and Responsive designs
Why Wix eCommerce on Fiverr?
There is nearly 5k worth of services on Fiverr, admittedly not as many as Shopify, but that’s still a lot of design creativity that will provide you with one of the most beautiful online stores. There’s a growing need for Wix professional services and Fiverr is the perfect marketplace to find the right digital skills to create your Wix online store.
If you’re still not sure, consider that most Shopify services cost more, so you could find the opportunity between price and competitive features, delivering a beautiful and capable Wix online store with Fiverr for a far cheaper price.
Website builders and plugins provide the simplest way to create online stores, with minimal fuss they integrate perfectly with your website. With both options at your fingertips, creating the perfect online store to sell the products you love is only a few clicks away.
Whether you’re looking to create your online store with Wix or Shopify, Fiverr has the right digital skills to solve your problems.